DIY Sippy Cup Handles For Limited Grasp

This is an adaptive handle that I made to put on a sippy cup, in order to facilitate holding the cup or working on bringing cup to mouth. I used Velcro Easystrap around the base, as it is easily adjustable and could be used on various sized cups. The “handles” are made of Neoloop, which is essentially a neoprene material. It has a stretch to it, which allows the hands to slide in and remain secure against the cup. None of it is sewn together to allow adjustability.

This is an adaptive handle that I made to put on a sippy cup, in order to facilitate holding the cup or working on bringing cup to mouth. I used Velcro Easystrap around the base, as it is easily adjustable and could be used on various sized cups. The “handles” are made of Neoloop, which is essentially a neoprene material. It has a stretch to it, which allows the hands to slide in and remain secure against the cup. None of it is sewn together to allow adjustability.

Sensory Wall

tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo5_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo6_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo7_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo8_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo9_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp4f39UPnw1r0o07oo10_1280.jpg

I read an article in Advance for OT about an OT who created a sensory wall. I had the opportunity to make a similar wall in 2006. I used different textures for each character. I used AstroTurf for grass & corrugated cardboard for the tree. Winnie the pooh was soft and Sponge Bob was made of sponges. I also incorporated dressing tasks: the stem of a flower was a zipper, the petals were snaps, and Dora’s Velcro shoes were real Velcro. Hello Kitty had a dress that you could change.

DIY Shoehorn

tumblr_lqea3f7aML1r0o07oo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_lqea3f7aML1r0o07oo2_1280.jpg

This is an adaptive shoe aid I made for a client who was unable to bend their knee. We tried a long handled shoe horn and a foot funnel, but neither worked. I used Aquaplast to make a combination of the two. I’ve used it with several of my clients since. This is a picture of a Polaroid, which explains why the quality of the photo is so bad.

Dynamic Wrist Extension Splint

I had a client with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis who was limited in wrist extension. Her doctor had requested I make a splint to increase range of motion in wrist extension. I could have made a static splint and remolded it as she progressed, but it didn’t seem like the best option. I did a little research online, and found a dynamic design. I’ve never made a dynamic splint before, but I was willing to try it. 
 On this splint, there is a piece that fits on the dorsal side of the forearm and the fingers slide into the oval shape and rest at the MCP joints. There are two small hooks. One at the far side of the forearm and one at the fingers. A rubber band is secured around the hooks and provides a consistent stretch into wrist extension. The hinge at the wrist allows her to flex her wrist and use her hand functionally. As she progressed, I used tighter rubber bands and eventually twisted them around several times to provide a greater stretch. She went from neutral wrist extension to 70 degrees.

I had a client with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis who was limited in wrist extension. Her doctor had requested I make a splint to increase range of motion in wrist extension. I could have made a static splint and remolded it as she progressed, but it didn’t seem like the best option. I did a little research online, and found a dynamic design. I’ve never made a dynamic splint before, but I was willing to try it.

On this splint, there is a piece that fits on the dorsal side of the forearm and the fingers slide into the oval shape and rest at the MCP joints. There are two small hooks. One at the far side of the forearm and one at the fingers. A rubber band is secured around the hooks and provides a consistent stretch into wrist extension. The hinge at the wrist allows her to flex her wrist and use her hand functionally. As she progressed, I used tighter rubber bands and eventually twisted them around several times to provide a greater stretch. She went from neutral wrist extension to 70 degrees.

Pencil Grasp Assist for Muscular Dystrophy

tumblr_lpachbBoxM1r0o07oo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_lpachbBoxM1r0o07oo2_1280.jpg

This is an adaptive device I made that is used with clients who have difficulty grasping a pencil. It maintains the fingers in a pinch. It is typically used for people with muscular dystrophy.

*Disclaimer: this is not my original design

Elbow Flexion Assist Harness

tumblr_lp5t1eqOVF1r0o07oo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_lp5t1eqOVF1r0o07oo2_1280.jpg

I made this for a client who was unable to bend their elbows. There was some bony limitations, but they were also lacking bicep muscles. There is a harness that fits over the trunk and rests on the shoulders, then there are two wrist splints. A piece of Theraband is attached to the shoulder and to the wrist, which allows them to extend their arm, but also stretch it back into flexion. It also allows the person to bring something to their mouth for self-feeding.